Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Smart sweater skirt

Refashioning sweaters is big these days. Felting and making mittens, scarves and all the comfy stuff are some of the most prominent ways of upcycling sweaters. A skirt appears here and there, but rarely resulting in something you would feel comfortable wearing to work.

When I pried this sweater from my husbands hands after a session of persuading him he could not possibly be wearing it any longer as it is completely stretched out and abundant in slovenly stitched holes.

I really liked the sweater because of the combination of lively and formal colours. I really wanted to turn it in a winter skirt that I could wear to work. So, when I hacked the sweater at the bottom of the neckline, I realised the skirt would be too short, and that I would need to find a way to make it the proper length. As I failed to make any pictures in the chopping process, I made a drawing to compensate for it.

Once I have chopped the part of the sweater up to the neckline slit, I continued to deconstruct the remainder of it with the aim of getting rectangular pieces of fabric to elongate the skirt. I got two from sleeves (numbers 1 and 2) which I hoped would be sufficient for what I needed them, which would be okay if I did a single layer.

To give more structure to the skirt, to make it "smart" and to make sure it holds its shape well, I decided to go for double layer for elongating the skirt, so I obviously needed more fabric. The only viable pieces for the job were those marked with numbers 3 and 4.

Since all the rectangles were uneven, I have trimmed those coming from sleeves (no 1 and 2) to be the same. Next, as rectangles 3 and 4 were significantly narrower and overall smaller then 1 and 2, I have stitched them together along the sides neighbouring to the central part of the sweater (where the neckline was). Now, I had 2 equal rectangles and one fairly similar to them. Next up, I have trimmed the third rectangle to match the first two in height.

The process itself entailed using the 'iron-on paper/fabric'. I ironed an inch wide strip around the edge of the 'skirt' and completely covered the matching rectangles. Next up, I have stitched rectangles in form of the cylinder of the matching circumference as the skirt bottom / hem.

I have ironed it, pinned and hemmed. Once I was done stitching, I had to add elastic band to the waist to reinforce the skirt, so it wouldn't slip down the hips throughout the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment